Have you seen a YouTube video ad on your phone recently?
Or maybe an ad on social media for a movie you’d like to see?
Of course you have.
We all have.
Mobile ads are everywhere AND they make a lot of money!
The rise of the smartphone industry opened new horizons for digital marketing.
Did you know that in 2018 mobile ad spent worldwide amounted to $138.1 billion?
If you have never given it much thought, let me share some numbers with you.
When you see the most recent mobile marketing statistics you will be super impressed, I guarantee it.
- Mobile ads account for 63% of all digital ad revenue in 2018.
- In January 2018 data, the global mobile population amounted to 3.7 billion unique users.
- Google drives 59.16% of all mobile search traffic.
- In 2018 App Store registered a revenue of $46.6 billion.
- In 2019, 92% of Facebook’s advertising revenue comes from mobile.
- In 2019, two-thirds of the budget Amazon spent on digital ads was mobile.
Now let me ask you:
Do you know when mobile marketing became a thing?
Sure you do!
The rise of the iPhone was the key element in the avalanche of ads that followed.
And let me tell you – it works!
Today we are asking you:
How much do you know about mobile marketing statistics?
If the answer is Not much or I’d like to know more, read on.
Most daily tasks, business ideas, or even hobbies can benefit from mobile marketing. How much exactly, we’ll see in a moment:
Fascinating Facts about Mobile Marketing
What makes mobile marketing so special?
According to Google data, after seeing an ad on their smartphone, more than half of people either:
- perform a Google search and/or buy the product in a store
- send a text about it
- or go directly to the website and buy the product.
Mobile ads have another great quality – they keep us informed about the latest trends, the upcoming season of our favorite TV shows, and all kinds of trendy clothes and accessories.
Moving on to mobile marketing stats – prepare to be amazed:
1. In August 2018, U.S. businesses devoted 9.4 percent of their marketing budget toward mobile marketing.
Mobile marketing statistics show clearly that mobile is on the rise. Mobile has a definite advantage over desktop in 2019 in terms of usage (but not in terms of monetization).
2. Consumers spend more than 5 hours a day on their smartphone.
(Source: Blue Corona)
Maybe you don’t need me to tell you this one. After all, we all notice people who can’t look away from their phones. Smartphone addiction is real and is everywhere around us.
It works like this:
The more time people spend on their phones – the more mobile marketing thrives.
3. Mobile phone user penetration worldwide is expected to reach 63,4% in 2019.
According to mobile device usage statistics in 2018, the number of mobile phone internet users in the United States is estimated to increase from 237 million in 2017 to 275 million by 2022.
4. In 2019 16% of US internet users will use a mobile phone exclusively to go online.
Mobile vs desktop usage stats in the US in 2018 shows that the mobile-only audience will grow to 55.7 million (nearly 19%) by 2022. More and more people will stop using desktop in favor of mobile in the near future.
5. 80% of internet users own a smartphone
(Source: Smart Insights)
Not surprising. Do you have a relative, friend or a colleague without a smartphone? Not too likely. In fact, chances are some of them have more than one.
6. 52.2% of web internet traffic is mobile in 2018.
Amazing, right? It has already crossed the 50% threshold and statistics promise a further rise in the years to come.
Just hold on to your phone and you’ll be fine.
7. Customers spend 69% of their media time on their smartphones.
With so many people consuming media through their phones, user behavior has changed significantly. Marketers are bound to take note. This could be why:
8. In 2018, mobile ad spends worldwide amounted to $138.1 billion and is expected to reach 212.4 billion by 2021.
Mobile marketing statistics from 2018 suggest these staggering values. Google’s mobile advertising revenue jumped from $16.27 billion in 2014 to the amazing $61.26 billion in 2018. From $19.2 billion in 2013, global mobile ad spending has reached $195.55 billion in 2019. Desktop spending, on the other hand, has reached its peak in 2015 and has been in constant decline ever since.
9. In January 2019, there were 3.986 billion unique active mobile internet users.
Earth’s population is estimated to reach 8 billion by 2025. Imagine what these stats are going to look like then…
10. According to smartphone statistics, there are 3.256 billion active mobile social media users in 2019.
That’s $51.34 billion that the largest social network in the world made in 2018 on mobile ads.
11. There’s a 270% gap in conversion between desktop and mobile.
(Source: Smart Insights)
Mobile vs desktop usage stats in 2018 clearly show desktop is wellhead. The divide will likely get narrower in the next few years, as users develop new shopping habits.
12. Mobile video internet advertising is forecast to experience aggressive growth in the coming years, with expectations to grow from 3.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2015 to 13.3 billion U.S. dollars in 2020.
Here is another interesting fact:
In 2018, 84% of digital marketing professionals reported they planned to increase spending on mobile video campaigns.
13. 4 out of 5 consumers use smartphones to shop.
Don’t you think about using your phone while shopping is the smart thing to do? Why pay more in that store, when you can get the same item at another location and save money?
Yes, using your phone to save money is a thing. And with mobile marketing, you will always be up to date on the best offers available.
14. In 2018 global app revenue reached $92.1 billion.
(Source: Business of Apps)
The mobile app economy is booming! And in-app advertising with it.
When it comes to mobile app usage statistics, the numbers are astonishing. Of course, it is not shocking that most of it came from gaming apps.
15. Google has had a “mobile-first” indexing policy since 2016.
According to mobile-friendly website statistics, investing in responsive design has become vital for every website owner. Still, the internet is full of non-responsive websites in an age when the mobile-first approach to the web experience is a winner when it comes to SEO.
16. The number of mobile devices is forecast to reach 16.8 billion by 2023.
Mobile devices are growing in popularity every year. In 2021, the share of monthly active tablet users is estimated to reach 64.8% of the total population.
Yes, the market for mobile is expanding rapidly. Apple is still the leading vendor of tablets worldwide – in the fourth quarter of 2018 around 9.67 million iPads were sold worldwide.
17. The Americas and Europe have the highest mobile broadband subscription penetration rate, around 78.2 percent, and 76.6 percent respectively.
In 2016, the global average stood at nearly 50 percent.
18. 75% of all emails are opened via smartphones in the US.
(Source: Blue Corona)
Mobile marketing stats say 80% of customers will delete your email if it is not optimized for mobile.
Optimization for mobile devices is crucial for any of your marketing efforts. If you invest in responsive design, you are already on the right path.
19. 70% of mobile customers who find your business online will act within 1 hour.
These numbers are 3 times higher for mobile, compared to desktop conversion.
That one speaks volumes about the future of mobile:
20. In 2022, mobile data traffic worldwide is expected to reach 77.5 exabytes per month at a compound annual growth rate of 46 percent.
Yes, mobile usage statistics in 2018 have made a pretty compelling case, haven’t they?
Now, let’s have some fun with a couple of chocolate muffins and a coffee…
Just kidding… but the next facts have really just come out of the oven.
Curious Facts about Mobile Marketing
So, what to expect from mobile marketing?
This new medium brings up an important distinction in digital marketing.
If you think about it:
Mobile is not just social media.
Mobile encompasses everything the internet can provide.
One of the best things about it is you can use it as a platform for as much advertising as possible. You have these mobile marketing statistics to guide you to the most optimal techniques
Speaking of endless possibilities:
Do you know how many people have smartphones nowadays?
21. According to mobile stats, there are as many as 4.68 billion mobile users in 2019.
The shift to mobile use is one of the reasons marketers have turned their eye to the new and ever so rich in options way of advertising.
Utilizing the users’ location data, you can send out the most effective ads. Choose your audience carefully according to other factors as well – both when it comes to email and mobile marketing. Believe it or not, the male audience will not be impressed by a coupon for feminine hygiene products.
By nature, mobile devices are very personal – and that’s why mobile marketing has so much to offer.
Mobile marketing is all about flexibility and ease of access.
Let me ask you this:
Do you even realize how important mobile internet is today?
What percentage of internet traffic is mobile:
22. 47.96% of global internet traffic (tablets excluded) is mobile.
Smartphones alone are now responsible for nearly 50% of all internet traffic. That puts things in perspective, doesn’t it?
23. According to 2018 mobile browsing stats, the percentage of web internet traffic out the total internet traffic is at an astonishing 52.2%.
Yes, smartphones are the future and so is mobile internet! They have infiltrated most areas of our lives and they keep finding new ones to invade. On the bright side, they have given a boost to the quality of our business enterprises, daily routines, and leisure activities.
Eventually, we’ll all go mobile!
Think about today’s youth
Smartphone usage statistics regarding the teenagers are awesome:
- 71% of all teens watch videos on a mobile device.
- 45% of teens now say they are online on a near-constant basis.
- 53% of all teens make mobile purchases.
- 95% of teens now report they have a smartphone or access to one.
- In 2018 children received their first smartphone at the average age of 12.
Young people nowadays use their cell phones for just about everything – they make purchases, play on mobile gaming ads (constantly!). No wonder smartphone addiction is spreading like wildfire.
Still not convinced that mobile marketing is the future?
OK, how about this?
How much do you know about mobile banking?
24. A 2018 survey examined this topic and found that 69.3% of millennials used mobile banking.
In that area the rise of mobile is astounding. Millennials aim to take full advantage of the latest technologies and mobile banking makes no exception.
Did you know that:
Mobile wallets and mobile-market transactions are on the rise. China is on its way to a cashless consumer economy. Soon enough we’ll have a generation of kids that don’t know what physical banknotes and coins are.
According to mobile statistics, WeChat Payment has just registered a new record:
25. 823 million people used a mobile transaction to send and receive money gifts in February 2019.
(Source: Merchant Savvy)
Mobile devices are our constant companion – they wait for us on our nightstand, accompany us in the shower…
(if you are one of those people who listen to music on their phone while showering – it is a good idea to ask your neighbors first whether they like progressive metal as much as you do!)
…next to our plate at dinner, next to the driver’s seat while going to work.
You name it.
(Speaking of taking your phone everywhere with you – did you know that 19% of people drop their phones in the toilet…. Just be careful, that’s all I’m saying.)
Smartphones have been a game changer for modern society. According to 2018 smartphone statistics, 61% of customers have a better opinion of brands, which offer a good mobile experience.
There it is – if the brand has a responsive website, more than half its customers will automatically consider it more reliable.
The global market is changing and mobile is at the center of the stage.
It is Google’s priority to make mobile marketing easy for advertisers.
If you are wondering what the future holds for us – one thing is for sure:
There will be even more smartphones and mobile ads out there.
In the near future, we can expect mobile payment systems to expand worldwide as even more people start using smartphones.
Mobile marketing statistics indicate this will, in turn, cause mobile marketing to gain further momentum. That definitely has its perks – for advertisers and clients alike. Mobile ads keep you informed on the latest fashion trends, TV shows, movies coming up, mobile apps – you name it.
Since the dawn of mobile marketing, a whole new way of advertising started its glorious existence.
Only time will tell how this will shape our shopping habits, as well as our society in general!
- Blue Corona
- Smart Insights
- Smart Insights
- Business of Apps
- Blue Corona
Other Interesting Facts: